[PARPORT] protecting the parport for input

From: daniel sheltraw (l5gibson@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Aug 20 2001 - 20:33:24 EDT

    Hello parport list

    I am trying to protect my parallel port from damage from a custom
    built device. A sensor, labeled Sensor in the diagram, is normally
    in a state where current is sinked through connection 2. This pulls
    the line to the buffer down. When the sensor responds to an event
    connection 2 becomes high impedance and the line-to-buffer goes high.
    This is all OK.

    I am trying to protect the parallel port from the following two situations:

    (1) a high value is written to the parrallel port pin while the
        line-to-buffer is low. This may happen while booting the machine
        with the device connected. I inserted the buffer to protect the
        port from sourcing too much current.

    (2) a high occurs on the line-to-buffer while a low is asserted on
        the port. A situation that might sink to much current. I am
        assuming the high input impedance of the port protects it
        in this situation.

    Am I correct? Is this a reasonable way to do this?

    Thank you,
    Daniel

                   Gnd |
                    |-------------------------|------------| port ground pin