Re: [PARPORT] Can parport be accessed without a device driver ?

From: Tim Waugh (twaugh@redhat.com)
Date: Fri Aug 24 2001 - 10:08:39 EDT

    On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 01:53:08PM +0000, David Lyon wrote:

    > Sounds promising Uwe.
    >
    > Where would I find the ppdev device? I'm running Mandrake 7.1 but I can't
    > see a /dev/ppdev device.
    >
    > Any further hints for where to look next would be appreciated.

    Look for /dev/parport0. Also, see
    <URL:http://people.redhat.com/twaugh/parport/html/parportguide.html>
    (and the DocBook source in the Linux kernel source tree which has some
    corrections).

    Note that you need to be running a 2.4.x kernel in order to have ppdev
    support.

    Alternatively, you can use inb/outb/ioperm, but in that case you'll
    need to have your program run as root.