[PARPORT] ppscsi for hp4300c scanjet scanner...

From: Christophe NIGAUD (atrap@club-internet.fr)
Date: Sun Aug 26 2001 - 21:54:12 EDT

    Hello,
    thanks for your mailing list , i hope i'll find the answer of my problem. I'm
    newbie, so sorry if i annoy you with my question...

    i try to use my Scanjet 4300C scanner under Linux Mandrake 8 distribution.
    for this, i installed Sane 1.0.4; Sane doesn't speak about this Scanner which
    is both a parallel & a USB scanner like HP5200C (so my experience would be
    interesting for others who have the same scanner)

    i follow the instruction from www.torque.net page about ppScsi.
    i patch my 2.4.3 kernel with linux-ppscsi.patch

    i can load all modules except the protocol modules epst; lsmod gives me
    this...
    lp 5296 0 (unused)
    ppscsi 11360 0
    parport_pc 13456 1
    parport 24576 1 [lp ppscsi parport_pc]
    sg 25392 0 (unused)
    ide-scsi 7568 0
    scsi_mod 85312 2 [ppscsi sg ide-scsi]

    if i try to load epst module, it gives me the following error :
    Using /lib/modules/2.4.3-20mdk/kernel/drivers/scsi/epst.o : init_module: No
    such device
    Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including
    invalid IO or IRQ parameters

    dmesg give me this :
    SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
    scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
      Vendor: CDWriter Model: IDE4x4x24 Rev: Z024
    parport0: PC-style at 0x378 [PCSPP,EPP]
    parport0: Found 1 daisy-chained devices (perhaps my scanner :-]
    ppSCSI 0.92 (0.92) installed
    lp0: using parport0 (polling).

    a cat /proc/devices gives me this :
    Character devices:
      1 mem
      2 pty
      3 ttyp
      4 ttyS
      5 cua
      6 lp
      7 vcs
     10 misc
     14 sound
     21 sg
    108 ppp
    116 alsa
    128 ptm
    136 pts
    162 raw

    Block devices:
      2 fd
      3 ide0
      7 loop
     22 ide1

    in your page you say that we must have an appropriate adapter connected to
    one of our parallel ports, and that our SCSI bus is powering the adapter. I
    don't know how to "powering the adapter" (is this already made ?)

    again thanks for your help, and a great Hello from France :-) !
    bye.