Re: [PARPORT] Parport problem?

From: Stephen Mollett (molletts@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Aug 25 2001 - 05:52:44 EDT

    Hi,

    > parport0: PC-style at 0x378 (0x778) [PCSPP,TRISTATE,COMPAT,ECP]
    > parport0: irq 7 detected
    > parport0: cpp_daisy: aa5500ff(98)
    > parport0: assign_addrs: aa5500ff(98)
    > parport0: Printer, Hewlett-Packard OfficeJet T Series
    >
    > All the devices that I think should be there are there and look OK:
    > crw-rw---- 1 root lp 6, 0 Jul 6 2000 lp0
    > ... etc ...
    >
    > But if I try to access any of the devices in anyway, I get device not
    > found errors and syslog reports things like:
    >
    > Aug 25 17:47:44 brick modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module
    > char-major-6 Aug 25 17:47:19 brick modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module
    > char-major-99

    It sounds like perhaps you haven't got parallel printer support in your
    kernel. To use a printer, you not only need a driver for the parallel port
    (which you've got) but a driver to make the parallel port talk to the printer
    in a language it can understand. (As you're probably aware, the parallel port
    can be used for many things other than printers, such as scanners and disk
    drives, all of which require different drivers.)

    You could try 'modprobe lp' but if you're not using modules at all then that
    wouldn't work. You'll need to configure parallel printer support into the
    kernel - it's under 'Character devices -> Parallel printer support'. If it's
    already configured in, then I'm not sure what to recommend...

    Hope this helps you a bit.

    Stephen