Re: [PARPORT] ECP mode transfers in 2.4.x kernels

From: Dave Strauss (dstrauss@mail.wm.sps.mot.com)
Date: Wed Aug 29 2001 - 15:41:20 EDT

    This is in relation to the problems I've been having getting ECP
    mode to work without errors when parport is *not* compiled with
    CONFIG_PARPORT_PC_FIFO set (or if irq and dma are *not* set to
    "auto" in modules.conf). I've discovered that the same Linux box/
    printer combination that won't work unless ECP uses DMA/interrupts
    has problems with compatibility mode if DMA/interrupts are used.

    So, I need to use DMA to do ECP mode transfers but I can't use DMA
    if I want to do compatibility mode transfers (and yes, this printer
    needs both to work).

    Is there any way for the lp driver to tell the parport driver whether
    or not to use DMA? I'm pretty sure this is not a long-term solution
    to the problem but I'd like to try it.

    Beyond that, has anyone seen any similar problems? Any ideas for things
    to try?

    -- Dave Strauss