Re: [PARPORT] ECP mode transfers in 2.4.x kernels

From: Dave Strauss (dstrauss@mail.wm.sps.mot.com)
Date: Wed Aug 29 2001 - 17:12:18 EDT

    On Wed, 29 Aug 2001 21:46:38 +0100, Philip Blundell <philb@gnu.org> wrote:

    > [ ... ]
    >
    > >Beyond that, has anyone seen any similar problems? Any ideas for things
    > >to try?
    >
    > I haven't heard of similar problems, but I suspect the DMA-assisted
    > compatibility mode stuff hasn't seen all that much testing.
    >
    > What kind of failure are you seeing -- is it just the same sort of
    > non-specific corruption you were getting in the software ECP case?
    >
    > p.

    Yes, just general corruption. I've got multi-megabytes of data and
    it's hard to tell where the problem is. One possible clue is that
    in both cases the printer tends to accept data in chunks which are
    not related to the size of the DMA or any other buffers on the host.
    Hence I get messages like this (from dmesg):

    DMA write timed out
    parport0: FIFO is stuck
    parport0: BUSY timeout (1) in compat_write_block_pio
    DMA write timed out
    etc.

    Maybe there's a problem when the transfer is restarted. And maybe
    the hardware on my PC is just messed up.

    -- Dave Strauss