Re: [PARPORT] parallel PCI IC

From: John P. O'Connor (joconnor@orga.com)
Date: Thu Oct 11 2001 - 03:19:03 EDT

    info 2K wrote:

    > hi, i'm studying PCI bus programming under linux.
    > i' m searching for an IC able to perform parallel port functions with PCI
    > bus.
    > All I can find on the internet are propietary ICs without specs and datasheet.
    >
    > any hint?

    Have a look through the linux parport sources and documentation and study the lists of supported parallel port pci cards. That will give you pointer towards the chipsets to look at. (If the card is supported, somebody must have been able to get info on the chips.)

    Hoever, if your goal is to learn pci programming, the parallel port software may not be the best area to look at.

    AMCC make a general purpose pci interface chip which is fully documented and readily available. There is an amcc device driver available for Linux and if you study that driver along with the documentation for the chipset you will get a good picture of what is going on. The device code for the AMCC part is 5933.

    Regards

    John O'Connor