[PARPORT] Problem creating device nodes

From: redbear (redbear@myrealbox.com)
Date: Tue Dec 04 2001 - 06:03:35 EST

    I have set up paride devices successfully before by using the shell script included in the paride.txt file. That also seems to be identical to a file called mkd. In the past they worked just fine, but this time it keeps creating device names with a question mark character in the name, like "pd?45". That's literally what I see when I do "ls /dev/pd*". Does anyone have a clue why this is happening?

    My system is a laptop running Libranet 1.9.1 (Debian 2.2 potato based). I've upgraded the system using packages from Woody, along with specifically installing the kernel-source-2.4.14 package. On top of that I installed the preemptive kernel patch for kernel 2.4.14. Before updating the kernel it was 2.4.3, and the script to make the paride devices worked just dandy. I've thought about returning to kernel 2.4.3 but I'm not quite sure how to do that right now.

    I'm pretty familiar with shell scripting (except for printf) so if someone understands what is happening and can tell me how to modify the script, that would be great. Please help, this is the absolute last thing I need to get working in order to have a completely functional Windows replacement.

    TIA, Kris Finkenbinder