[PARPORT] multiple low-level drivers

From: Kipp Cannon (kipp@sgl.crestech.ca)
Date: Thu Dec 06 2001 - 21:26:47 EST

    Hi,

    Are there any plans to address the problem of low-level drivers not
    keeping track of which ports are actually there's in the near future?

    The reason I ask is that I've re-written the driver for the "custom"
    interface card that shipped with older HP scanners to be part of the
    parport subsystem. The card is actually a bi-directional parallel port
    and this way one can, say, plug a printer into it if the scanner ever dies
    or gets lost.

    The problem is parport_pc assumes it's the only low-level driver present
    in the system so segfaults result if the modules are unloaded in the wrong
    order: parport_pc unregisters everything leaving the other driver with
    dangling pointers. (there's a comment about this problem in parport_pc's
    cleanup_module() function).

    The HP interface driver keeps track of which ports it owns by maintaining
    a private linked list of them. This could be done in every low-level
    driver but it's a lot of code duplication. My own preference would be to
    add the field

            struct module *owner

    to one of the parport structures, either struct parport or maybe struct
    parport_operations (a la file_operations). It's then trivial to set the
    pointer to THIS_MODULE and check it against THIS_MODULE before removing
    the port. I don't know if this method of keeping track of ownership is
    smiled upon or frowned upon by the kernel upper-ups but it can't be beaten
    for simplicity at the driver level. Any thoughts?

                                                            -Kipp