[PARPORT] cannot grant exclusive access for device ppdev1

From: Ludo Vangilbergen (ludo@vangilbergen.net)
Date: Sat Dec 15 2001 - 12:52:32 EST

    Hi all,

    A couple of weeks ago I managed to get access to the parport devices on my
    system with the help of a couple of people on this list. I'm afraid I have to
    ask your help once again, because I'm having problems with these parport
    devices when I start vmware.

    I have a scanner hooked up on parport1 that I can only operate under
    Windows. So, vmware is the obvious way to go. But when I start vmware, this is
    want my Linux system prints in the logfile

    parport1: cannot grant exclusive access for device ppdev1

    (yes, I traces this back to the share.c file in the parport source)

    and this is what is reported on the screen (at user level)

    The "/dev/parport1" device is used by another program.
    Device ... will start disconneted.

    How can I see which program is locking it??

    Thanks once again for your help.

    --
    Ludo Vangilbergen
    Rotselaar, Belgium