Re: Re-4: [PARPORT] Parallel Port Mode switching via normal C-code possible??

From: Gunther Mayer (Gunther.Mayer@t-online.de)
Date: Mon Mar 11 2002 - 11:39:50 EST

    sven.luebke@auerswald.de wrote:

    > Gunther.Mayer@t-online.de wrote:
    >
    > Hi,

    > > > sven> Sorry, it's not for a Linux driver. Just MS-DOS environment... I
    > > > sven> know, I'm in the wrong mailinglist, but I didn't find a MS-DOS
    > > > sven> parallel port "discussion board"...
    > > >
    > > > If you are in DOS, maybe there are some BIOS Interrupts that could do that
    > > > in a transparent way. ACPI comes also to mind, but probably will work, if
    > > > ever, on only recent MBs.
    > > > Otherwise, in DOS, you may also write directly to the Super-I/O controller,
    > > > without the need for a driver. If however you want a solution that should
    > > > work with many Super-I/O chips, you have to get their datasheets and/or
    > > > programming manual and have to implement code that identies the chip and
    > > > the
    > > > switching with the appropriate sequence of cookies. Tedious works...
    > > >
    > > > I know of some work for the Linux kernel to identify the Super-IO chip.
    > >
    > > See http://home.t-online.de/home/gunther.mayer/lssuperio-0.63.tar.gz
    > > for a start (it identifies as many chipset as known (by me)).
    > >
    > > You only need DOS equivalents of outb() and inb() to make this work.
    >
    > Oh, thanks for this advice. Nevertheless I want to know if really no GENERAL
    > bios address is responsible for that "mode switching"!? I read the following
    > in www.beyondlogic.org (Standard Parallel Port Manual):
    >
    > ---qoute on---
    > The above modes are configurable via BIOS. You can reconfigure them by using your own software, but this is not recommended. These software registers, typically found at 0x2FA, 0x3F0, 0x3F1 etc are only intended to be accessed by BIOS.

    BIOS = Your Interactive BIOS Setup Screen.

    > So, could anyone confirm this statement? Or is this limited to only a few
    > chipsets?
    >
    > Does your lssuperio package identify even old chipsets in 486/DX100 notebooks or
    > is this limited to new chipsets?

    There is no qualitative difference between "new chipsets" and "486/DX100 notebook chipsets".
    So if any supported chipset is in your notebook, it will be found.

    There are some variables, though:
    - is your 486/DX100 chipset supported (notebooks can use very proprietary chips and software)
    - some chipsets can be made invisible (until next reboot) by setting some registers.

    -
    Gunther