Re: [PARPORT] SIIG Dual Parallel Port card under RH 6.2

From: Jerry Mulchin (jmulchin@employees.org)
Date: Mon Apr 08 2002 - 22:13:32 EDT

    Tim,

    Thanks for the reply.

    I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "they might change when you change
    bits of hardware around". Does this have to do with setting the EPP/SPP mode
    registers?

    I'll take a look at libieee1284 to see if it will make life easier.

    Jerry Mulchin

    At 08:54 AM 4/8/02 +0100, Tim Waugh wrote:
    >On Fri, Apr 05, 2002 at 09:14:32PM -0800, Jerry Mulchin wrote:
    >
    >> But I don't want to use the ports for printers. Rather I want to
    >> just use them for control of some hardware I'm designing. When I
    >> installed the RH 6.2, I did not install any parallel port
    >> support. Fortunately interrupts are not a requirement, so I don't
    >> need to program for that. I also understand Linux 6.2 doesn't
    >> support parallel port interrupts anyway.
    >
    >(It does, of course.)
    >
    >> 1.) Can I leave them at the ports the end up at when the system boots up?
    >> They appear at 0xE800, 0XE400, 0xE000, and 0xDC00 and are defaulted
    >> to EPP mode I believe. Or should I program the base addr registers to change
    >> them to lower port address?
    >
    >Leave them there. But they might change when you change bits of
    >hardware around.
    >
    >> 2.) Can I just program them for use in "user space" and use some of
    >> the libraries out there that control paralle ports. One that I plan
    >> to use is a library called "parapin". Parapin does support "ioperm",
    >> but I added "iopl" to the library for the higher I/O addresses.
    >
    >In theory you could also use libieee1284, but that performs much
    >better with newer kernels.
    >
    >Tim.
    >*/

    Jerry Mulchin Amateur Radio Call - N7EME
    Programmer, Amateur Astronomer, Ham Radio
    e-mail (home) - jmulchin@employees.org
    Astronomy Web Page http://www.astroguy.com