Re: [PARPORT] Using the ppSCSI patch

From: Charles Lepple (clepple@ghz.cc)
Date: Thu May 09 2002 - 00:50:15 EDT

    On Wednesday, May 8, 2002, at 09:21 PM, Lazar M Fleysher wrote:
    >> I have not tried to use source code before and don't understand where
    >> place the code and what other entries are required to make ppSCSI work.
    >> The ppSCSI page says to add the file to the "source tree"; where is
    >> this? I am using RedHat 7.1 and want to use a parallel port SCSI
    >> adapter (Shuttle Technologies) on a Compaq LTE lite 4/25 laptop.
    [...]
    > 1. You should get the source code for the kernel you want (probably the
    > one you have running now). To check which kernel you run use command:
    > uname -a

    more specifically, you want the kernel-2.4.?-source-i?86.rpm package to
    recompile the kernel. If you installed the software development group of
    packages, you already have kernel-headers-..., and you definitely have the
    kernel itself.

    > The output will contain a number which will look like 2.4.xx This is the
    > kernel version you have. Get the source from the RedHat site and install
    > it.

    RedHat kernel version numbers have an additional "sub-version" string
    which is basically a dash and the number of times they had to rebuild the
    kernel package with patches and such. On my RedHat 7.2 system which is in
    need of an upgrade, the version is 2.4.9-13, meaning that you want the
    kernel patches for 2.4.9.

    > 2. Get the ppSCSI patch. To apply the patch to the kernel you will need
    > to execute patch command (if you do not have patch, get it from RedHat)

    package name: patch, from the development group

    > 3. To apply patch you will have to execute the command which will be
    > similar to
    >
    > patch -p1 < /path/to/ppSCSIpatch
    >
    > in the directory where the source for the kernel is.

    /usr/src/linux-2.4, most likely.

    > There should be no errors at the output.(well one hope there will be non)
    >
    > 4. compile the kernel. This is the most difficult part. You should read
    > kernel-howto to understand how to do it. You should learn how to do it and
    > it is not simple at first. Generally, you should run the command from the
    > source directory:
    >
    > make config
    > or
    > make menuconfig
    > or
    > make xconfig

    to keep as much of the stock RedHat configuration, pick the config file
    from /usr/src/linux-2.4/configs whose name best matches your system
    (pentium, athlon, etc.) and copy that to /usr/src/linux-2.4/.config (note
    leading dot in ".config". Then run the config command listed above.

    > and answer on all questions if you want support for different things.
    >
    > After that you could run
    > make zImage
    > to build the kernel
    > make modules
    > to build kernel modules and
    > make modules_install
    > to install the modules
    >
    > You will have to install the kernel you built for use with LILO or a
    > different linux loader and reboot.

    The best way to find out *exactly* how to do this (poring over the HOWTOs
    will give you more insight at the expense of distro-centric details) is to
    see what RedHat does on installation of one of the precompiled kernels.
    Look at the output of "rpm -q --scripts kernel" and run the commands
    listed in the preinstall and postinstall sections.

    I'd post an excerpt here, but RH7.2 can use grub, so they wrote a script
    to make the bootloader stuff generic. Needless to say, its a little
    different now.

    > Needless to say that you will have to have gcc and make installed on your
    > system to do all that and maybe other things too...

    the dependencies for kernel-source should be sufficient to alert you to
    additional packages you might need to install.

    Hope that helps somewhat.

    --
    Charles Lepple <clepple@ghz.cc>
    http://www.ghz.cc/charles/