Re: [PARPORT] Using the ppSCSI patch

From: Lazar M Fleysher (lqf6505@scires.acf.nyu.edu)
Date: Wed May 08 2002 - 21:21:20 EDT

    > I have not tried to use source code before and don't understand where
    > place the code and what other entries are required to make ppSCSI work.
    > The ppSCSI page says to add the file to the "source tree"; where is
    > this? I am using RedHat 7.1 and want to use a parallel port SCSI
    > adapter (Shuttle Technologies) on a Compaq LTE lite 4/25 laptop.

    Hello Jon

    I use Debian distribution of Linux, not RedHat, so I can not tell you the
    exact commands to execute, but I can tell you the logical steps you should
    perform...

    1. You should get the source code for the kernel you want (probably the
    one you have running now). To check which kernel you run use command:
    uname -a

    The output will contain a number which will look like 2.4.xx This is the
    kernel version you have. Get the source from the RedHat site and install
    it.

    2. Get the ppSCSI patch. To apply the patch to the kernel you will need
    to execute patch command (if you do not have patch, get it from RedHat)

    3. To apply patch you will have to execute the command which will be
    similar to

    patch -p1 < /path/to/ppSCSIpatch

    in the directory where the source for the kernel is.
    There should be no errors at the output.(well one hope there will be non)

    4. compile the kernel. This is the most difficult part. You should read
    kernel-howto to understand how to do it. You should learn how to do it and
    it is not simple at first. Generally, you should run the command from the
    source directory:

    make config
    or
    make menuconfig
    or
    make xconfig

    and answer on all questions if you want support for different things.

    After that you could run
    make zImage
    to build the kernel
    make modules
    to build kernel modules and
    make modules_install
    to install the modules

    You will have to install the kernel you built for use with LILO or a
    different linux loader and reboot.

    Needless to say that you will have to have gcc and make installed on your
    system to do all that and maybe other things too...

    These are the generic steps...

    Hope that helps

    Lazar