Re: [PARPORT] getting the parport subsystem to recognize a PPC34C60 chip

From: Tim Waugh (twaugh@redhat.com)
Date: Tue May 14 2002 - 04:21:57 EDT

    On Mon, May 13, 2002 at 08:38:37PM -0400, Charles Lepple wrote:

    > The SMSC datasheet talks about the Distec (sp?) daisy-chain
    > protocol, which I assume is what drivers/parport/daisy.c is doing,
    > but some pieces seem to be missing.

    drivers/parport/daisy.c implements IEEE 1284.3 daisy-chaining. I
    don't know what 'Distec' is I'm afraid.

    > parport0: PC-style at 0x378 (0x778), irq 7 [PCSPP,TRISTATE,COMPAT,ECP]
    > parport0: Found 1 daisy-chained devices
    > parport0: Peripheral not IEEE1284 compliant (0x7F)
    [...]
    > basically empty, and the kernel message log doesn't indicate any sort of
    > attempt at probing.

    The attempt is cut short by the realization that it's going
    wrong---that's what the 'not compliant' message is I think.

    > Does anyone know if I can even do the daisy-chain enable command
    > from user space?

    Of course, since you have access to all the wires. But you have to do
    it by waving the wires around; there's no PPDAISY ioctl or anything
    I'm afraid.

    > Also, shouldn't there be some sort of indication about the product
    > ID from the daisy-chain scan?

    Yes, it should.

    > Once I solve the problem of getting the chip to respond, I'd love to hear
    > from anyone who has a good example driver that does byte-wide reads, but I'
    > m getting ahead of myself now.

    'Byte-wide reads' isn't specific enough: using what protocol?