[PARPORT] init_module: Device or resource busy

From: Nate (nate@uniwest.com)
Date: Mon Jun 03 2002 - 17:11:14 EDT

    Hello,

    I am using Kernel 2.4.2-2, (Red Hat 7.1), on a system and the unit it able
    to print from one program fine. I know the working program uses "lp".
    However on a program I am trying to write, it fails to load the parport_pc
    module.

    My sequence I am simply invoking is the following commands:

    #insmod parport
    #insmod parport_pc
    #insmod ppdev

    The first and third appear successful as I can see them listed using
    #lsmod... It reports back the following error: "... init_module: Device or
    resource busy ...", with a hint about the IRQ being the most common problem
    after the second command (parport_pc).

    ......................ok

    When I boot up, I can read /proc/ioports as having 0x378 and 0x37b as
    parport0 prior to loading parport module. At that point, if I do a #lsmod,
    I see nothing. Then I can insert the module, #insmod parport, and see the
    same thing in /proc/ioports but #lsmod shows the parport module inserted
    now.

    I have also tried it with full parameters, #insmod parport_pc io=0x378 irq=7

    Nothing seems to get it there.

    What is the solution or next step? I have read Tim W.'s web pages. I have
    found lots of similar scenarios but no real resolutions in list archives
    doing a google search... I just do not know what I could do to check next.

    Thank You,

    Nate

    (I would rather not recompile a kernel if possible)