[PARPORT] Lava Dual PCI parallel port under RedHat 7.3

From: Eric McRae (eric@elmi.com)
Date: Tue Jun 04 2002 - 10:39:52 EDT

    Lavalink's inctructions for their cards are quite clear but may be out
    of date. I recently moved a dual parallel PCI card to a RedHat 7.3
    machine and am unclear how I should modify modules.conf to pick up the
    new ports.

    /sbin/lspci -v shows (among other things):

    00:10.0 Parallel controller: Lava Computer mfg Inc Lava Dual Parallel
    port A (prog-if 01 [BiDir])
            Flags: slow devsel, IRQ 14
            I/O ports at ecd8 [size=8]

    00:10.1 Parallel controller: Lava Computer mfg Inc Lava Dual Parallel
    port B (prog-if 01 [BiDir])
            Flags: slow devsel, IRQ 14
            I/O ports at ecd0 [size=8]

    Their instruction say to then look in "conf.modules" which I interpreted
    as "modules.conf" for parport entries. Here is my modules.conf:

    alias scsi_hostadapter aic7xxx
    alias eth0 3c59x
    alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
    pre-install pcmcia_core /etc/rc.d/init.d/pcmcia start
    alias usb-controller usb-uhci
    alias sound-slot-0 cs4232
    post-install sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -L
    >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
    pre-remove sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -S
    >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
    options sound dmabuf=1
    alias synth0 opl3
    options opl3 io=0x388
    options cs4232 isapnp=1

    Note that there is no options line for the current parallel port. I
    know what to add for the additional Lava ports but what do I specify for
    the current port? I would presume the address to be 0x378 but what
    IRQ? Am I artificially constraining my system if I specify an IRQ?
    Should I do something like:

    alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
    options parport_pc io=0x378,0xecd8,0xedc0 irq=auto,auto,auto

    Note that the address and IRQ specifications for the Lava card are as
    they recommend.

    --
    Eric McRae, Electro-Logic Machines, Inc.
    511 Root St.,  Port Townsend WA, 98368