[PARPORT] "/dev/lp0: No such device"

From: Melle Sieswerda (m.s.sieswerda@its.tudelft.nl)
Date: Fri Jun 07 2002 - 05:14:47 EDT

    Hello,

    Can anyone help me with the following problem.

    I've recently installed CUPS on a debian system, running Kde3. When I was
    installing my printer in CUPS, I bumped into the following problem:
    The printer was added, but when I trierd to print a test page, I received the
    message:
    "Unable to open parallel port device file "/dev/unknown-parallel0": No such
    device"

    Since there is no "unknown-parallel0" file in my "/dev" dir, I changed the
    configurationfile manually. It now states "/dev/lp0", but when I try to
    print, again I receive the error:
    "Unable to open parallel port device file "/dev/lp0": No such device"

    By now I am puzzled. I took a look in "/proc/sys/dev/parport/parport0" and I
    catted "autoprobe". It said:
    CLASS:PRINTER;
    MODEL:DESKJET 880C;
    MANUFACTURER:HEWLETT-PACKARD;
    COMMAND SET:MLC,PCL,PML;

    This suggests the parport module is loaded and working. dmesg said something
    similar:
    parport0: PC-style at 0x378 [PCSPP,EPP]
    parport0: Printer, HEWLETT-PACKARD DESKJET 880C
    parport_pc: Via 686A parallel port: io=0x378

    The command "echo hello > /dev/lp0" also generates an error:
    "bash: /dev/lp0: No such device", which is practically the same error as cups
    generates.

    "/dev/lp0" is make with the command "mknod /dev/lp0 c 6 0"

    does anyone have a clue as to what I am doing wrong??

    Melle