Re: [PARPORT] *Simple* Parallel port I/O...

From: Robert Heller (heller@deepsoft.com)
Date: Wed Jul 10 2002 - 15:03:47 EDT

    In message <20020710194653.E19674@redhat.com>, Tim Waugh writes:

    >On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 01:40:15PM -0400, Robert Heller wrote:
    >
    >> Does there exist a really simple driver that allows one to read (in user
    >> mode) the state of the parallel port.
    >
    >Use tunelp.

    I am looking for a driver that *user mode* code can access with a
    'read()' that reads the data port, as a single byte, not the status
    bits! The read() should not hang (eg should return right away with one
    byte of data). I am hoping some simple, stupid driver that does this
    already exists out there, so I don't have to write one from scratch.

    What I am looking to do is use an old laptop as part of a control panel
    for a Model RR control station. I'm playing on connecting stuff like
    thottle and brake controls to the Joystick port *some* buttons/switches to
    the Joystick buttons, but I need more than the 4 On/Off inputs the
    Joystick port provides and I want to put the extra on the parallel port.
    I'm planing on feeding a video source (from a Axis network camera or
    similar) to the display panel. I just want to poll the extra switches
    on the parallel port.

    Oh, I am thinking of using a 2.2.x kernel, if possible.

    >Tim.
    >*/
    >

    >This message contains data in an unrecognized format, application/pgp-signatur
    >e,
    >which is being decoded and written to the file named "/home/heller/Mail/Attach
    >ments/mm.0uCZvx".
    >If you do not want this data, you probably should delete that file.
    >Wrote file /home/heller/Mail/Attachments/mm.0uCZvx
                                         \/
    Robert Heller ||InterNet: heller@cs.umass.edu
    http://vis-www.cs.umass.edu/~heller || heller@deepsoft.com
    http://www.deepsoft.com /\FidoNet: 1:321/153