Re: [PARPORT] *Simple* Parallel port I/O...

From: Blaise Gassend (blaise@gassend.com)
Date: Wed Jul 10 2002 - 16:09:18 EDT

    Hi Robert,

    > I am looking for a driver that *user mode* code can access with a
    > 'read()' that reads the data port, as a single byte, not the status
    > bits! The read() should not hang (eg should return right away with one
    > byte of data). I am hoping some simple, stupid driver that does this
    > already exists out there, so I don't have to write one from scratch.

    > Oh, I am thinking of using a 2.2.x kernel, if possible.

    In that case, I don't think that ppdev will be available, though there
    might be a backport available.

    Your simplest bet in 2.2.x would probably to use ioperm and inb to get the
    job done. Or you could try to port ppdev, it would be easier than
    rewriting a driver from scratch. And ppdev really does exactly what you
    want.

    Blaise