Re: [PARPORT] Upgrade 2.4.4 to 2.4.18 lost parallel port

From: Charles Lepple (clepple@ghz.cc)
Date: Sun Jul 14 2002 - 16:42:50 EDT

    On Sunday, July 14, 2002, at 02:24 PM, Andreas Nowatzyk wrote:
    > I guess so, but it used to be there and it still is under window. Without
    > options to parport_pc I get:
    >
    > /lib/modules/2.4.18-4GB/kernel/drivers/parport/parport_pc.o: init_module:
    > Device or resource busy
    > Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters,
    > including
    > invalid IO or IRQ parameters
    >
    > and parport_pc does not load. I tried this with all variations of
    > parport_pc
    > and the result is always this.

    I have been fighting a similar battle with the sound chip on my laptop
    under the 2.4 kernels. It seems that every time I boot Windows, it changes
    some settings managed by the PnP BIOS, and so I have to specify new I/O
    parameters every time (based on the output of lspnp). Yes, I've tried
    autoprobing, but that causes other (off-topic) issues...

    You may want to look into lspnp and setpnp -- if I recall, you have to
    enable the PNPBIOS option in the kernel (not just ISAPNP like most
    distributions do). If the PnP BIOS has complete support for your parallel
    port, it is entirely possible that Windows is enabling it each time you
    boot, and not storing that setting in non-volatile RAM.

    --
    Charles Lepple <clepple@ghz.cc>
    http://www.ghz.cc/charles/