Re: [PARPORT] Upgrade 2.4.4 to 2.4.18 lost parallel port

From: Gunther Mayer (Gunther.Mayer@t-online.de)
Date: Mon Jul 15 2002 - 02:39:05 EDT

    Andreas Nowatzyk wrote:

    > Gunther.Mayer@t-online.de said:
    > > Try "lssuperio" from http://home.t-online.de/home/gunther.mayer/
    > > lssuperio/

    > > -- with the single word "unsubscribe" in the body of the message. --
    >
    > Thanks a lot! I think that the output of your program confirms that
    > some how the parport/LPT has been disabled:
    >
    > lssuperio V0.65 (EXPERIMENTAL)
    >
    > Winbond Super-IO detection, now testing ports 3F0,370,250,4E,2E ...
    > SMSC Super-IO detection, now testing Ports 2F0, 370, 2E, 4E ...
    > SMSC chip at EFER=0x4e key=0x55 id=54 rev=04
    > oldid=0x00 oldrev=0x00
    > LDN 0( FDC): io=0x3f0, irq= 6, dma= 2
    > LDN 1(reserved): Disabled.
    > LDN 2(reserved): Disabled.
    > LDN 3( LPT): Disabled.

    Now, we must know:
    - if your specific Suse setup disables LPT.
    - your computer boots with LPT disabled.

    => Boot a rescue system from your suse cds,
       and execute "lssuperio" from there

    A candidate fiddling intimately with superio
    could be linux "infrared support" modules or probes,
    even when they are unloaded the effect would persist.
    You could "mv" them away from /lib/modules and retry,
    don't know where you can find (user-mode) probes.

    Note: some laptops have Windows utilities which
    can set BIOS parameters. (Of course "lssupperio"
    could easily be expanded to enable your port, too).