[PARPORT] Redhat Linux 7.3 With Parallel Port Tape Drive (HP)

From: info@garydtaylor.co.uk
Date: Wed Sep 18 2002 - 08:58:15 EDT

    Hi,

       I have redhat 7.3 on my machine with just about every option installed (as I
    didn't know what I should install - I am a bit of a newbie to Linux).
    I also have a HP Colorado 14GB External (Parallel port) tape drive which I
    currently use on my windows XP box.
    I am trying to 100% switch over to Linux and the tape drive and my (less
    important) parallel port scanner are the only things left to switch over.

    I have read through the mailing list archives, but to be honest, some of it is
    a bit over my head.

    Can anyone answer the following questions for me ?

    1. Can I use the tape drive with linux or am I wasting my time trying to ?
    2. What steps do I need to take in order to use the tape drive ?
    3. Once the tape drive is working, what software will I require to do scheduled
    backups ?

    Many Thanks

    Gary Taylor