[PARPORT] I am having much trouble getting a mostek scanner to work

From: Jeff Silverman (jeffs@commercialventvac.com)
Date: Fri Nov 22 2002 - 03:31:15 EST

    I have a microtek ScanMaker e3 with a parallel port to SCSI cable that
    works under Windows/95, so I believe my hardware is okay. I set the
    printer port to EPP mode in the BIOS. I downloaded the source RPM for
    the 2.4.18-18.7.xBOOT kernel, patched it with the ppscsi patch, built
    it, installed it, but the scanner still won't work with scanimage.

    [jeffs@sixl jeffs]$ sudo /sbin/lsmod
    Password:
    Module Size Used by Tainted: P
    sg 29132 0 (unused)
    on26 18540 0 (unused)
    paride 4384 1 [on26]
    ppscsi 12644 0 (unused)
    parport 21600 0 [paride ppscsi]
    scsi_mod 62376 1 [sg ppscsi]
    nfs 73572 1
    lockd 52304 1 [nfs]
    sunrpc 72540 1 [nfs lockd]
    ne2k-pci 6624 1
    8390 7372 0 [ne2k-pci]
    ext3 60800 2
    jbd 46932 2 [ext3]
    [jeffs@sixl jeffs]$ uname -a
    Linux sixl 2.4.18-18.7.xBOOT #3 Mon Nov 18 21:15:18 PST 2002 i586 unknown
    [jeffs@sixl jeffs]$

    [jeffs@sixl jeffs]$ scanimage microtek:/dev/sg0
    scanimage: no SANE devices found
    [jeffs@sixl jeffs]$ scanimage -L !$
    scanimage -L mostek:/dev/sg0

    [jeffs@sixl jeffs]$ sudo sane-find-scanner tool

      # No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make
    sure that
      # you have loaded a SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.
      # Also you need support for SCSI Generic (sg) in your operating system.
      # If using Linux, try "modprobe sg".

      # No USB scanners found. If you expected something different, make
    sure that
      # you have loaded a driver for your USB host controller and have
    installed a
      # kernel scanner module.

      # Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary ports
    can't be
      # detected by this program.
    [jeffs@sixl jeffs]$
    [jeffs@sixl jeffs]$ more /proc/scsi/scsi
    Attached devices: none
    [jeffs@sixl jeffs]$

    I speculate that something is wrong with the ppscsi module, but I
    haven't a clue what that might be.

    Can anybody offer me any advice please? Is ppscsi going to be
    integrated into future kernels or is it going to remain a kernel patch?

    Many thanks,

    Jeff

    --
    Jeff Silverman, Linux Guru wannabe, Java Guru wannabe