[PARPORT] Need lots of information about parallel-port operation & probing

From: Peter Asemann (sipeasem@immd3.informatik.uni-erlangen.de)
Date: Tue Nov 26 2002 - 10:03:03 EST

    Hi there!

    For an assignment I need to write an "odd" piece of software, a parallel port
    hardware emulator.
    Before you ask, it's for the http://www.umlinux.de/ project.
    The goal is to pretend to a virtual UMLinux machine running on a real Linux
    machine that the UMLinux had access to a parallel port (either the real one
    or a virtual one, that could also virtually be connected to another virtual
    parport).
    I found quite some information about SPP/EPP/ECP, Nibble mode, even CPP, ISO
    1284 and so on, but of course I don't see through the Linux drivers yet.

    So I have some questions:

    Is it possible (as an user) to access all parallel-port functionality
    (including read/write to status, control and all data registers) using the
    /usr/src/linux/drivers/char/ppdev.c driver?
    This would make connecting the virtual UMLinux to a real parport easier, as
    this wouldn't require the UMLinux system to have root rights.

    How is the driver hierarchy (which driver/modules uses what other
    drivers/modules or what driver includes which driverzyz.c programs), or how
    does input/output 'ripple through' different driver-levels (low-level to
    high-level)?

    And, most important, how and where do the parport drivers probe which
    hardware is present, and how do the most common chipsets react? That's very
    important for me to know, and I couldn't find the probing routinges so far.
    There must be rules like "if you write XY to register Z and reread it, and
    bit a has changed, then the chipset supports EPP, otherwise it's SPP" or
    something. I guess. Give me a hint. Tutorial suggestions are welcome, too.

    Peter Asemann