[PARPORT] parport_pc will not load

From: Adam Knutson (crimson@mcleodusa.net)
Date: Tue Jan 14 2003 - 16:31:42 EST

    Hi, I'm using Gentoo linux and I have the parport and lp drivers enabled
    and compiled as modules in my kernel. I can load parport just fine, but
    the parport_pc driver will not load with or without IRQ and IO params:

    $insmod parport_pc io=0x378 irq=7

    Using /lib/modules/2.4.19-gentoo-r10/kernel/drivers/parport/parport_pc.o
    /lib/modules/2.4.19-gentoo-r10/kernel/drivers/parport/parport_pc.o:
    init_module: Device or resource busy
    Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters,
    including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
           You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg

    I even tried changing my irq in the bios to 5 instead of 7. So the
    output of dmesg | grep parport is:

       parport0: PC-style at 0x278 (0x678) [PCSPP(,...)]
       parport0: irq 5 detected
       lp0: using parport0 (polling).

    My printer is an HP Deskjet 712c. I hope someone has some good advice,
    because I've really been trying to figure this error out, and have never
    had THIS much trouble printing in Linux before. Thanks --Adam