Re: [PARPORT] parport_pc will not load

From: Gabriel M. Elder (gmelder@centurytel.net)
Date: Fri Jan 17 2003 - 14:02:35 EST

    Not sure if anyone's tried to help you out with this yet, but i haven't
    noticed any replies on the parport list, so here goes:

    I would query the procinfo to see if you can verify and locate whatever
    else may be grabbing those resources. i.e. cat /proc/interrupts and cat
    /proc/ioports, use the procinfo command, or use the pretty system
    information boxes in the gui control center(s). If that doesn't show
    anything that you can use, then manually unload and reload the parport
    module stack using rmmod and modprobe. Remember, it won't let you rmmod
    something if it's in use (use count > 0), even if you're root. lsmod
    will show a module's use count and module dependencies. So:

    lsmod | sort | less
    for each par* module and the lp module: rmmod -v modname_here

    Then try reloading the module stack (i prefer to use modprobe, a cleaner
    interface to insmod) from the bottom up:

    modprobe -v parport
    modprobe -v parport_pc
    modprobe -v lp

    What mode is your parallel port set to in the CMOS/BIOS? What messages
    show up in /var/log/messages when you try to load these modules? I'm
    really not sure why this isn't loading properly from the outset; weird.
    But hopefully these troubleshooting tips will help you out.

    I hope this was useful to someone. If i have erred, or someone knows
    better, please LMK.

    - gabriel