Re: [PARPORT] [Fwd: LS-120 drive]

From: Stephen Mollett (molletts@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Mar 12 2003 - 15:00:34 EST

    On Wednesday 12 Mar 2003 15:45, n95110011@netscape.net wrote:
    > After i mount this parallel port drive, all transfers freeze the system

    This seems to be a more or less unavoidable problem with parallel-port drives.
    I've had some success using a preemptible kernel
    (http://www.tech9.net/rml/linux/) with my PP removable hard drive. It still
    gets a bit choppy while the drive is being accessed but it doesn't lock solid
    for several seconds at a time (or even several minutes for big files) like it
    used to.

    > while it's reading at nibble speed

    You may want to investigate enabling EPP mode (not ECP+EPP) in the BIOS if
    your system supports it; you'll probably get faster transfers that way, which
    will also reduce the amount of time spent 'hung' :-)

    Stephen