Re: [PARPORT] Backpack CD-RW help

From: Michael Graffam (mgraffam@mathlab.sunysb.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 13 2003 - 18:01:49 EST

    On Thu, 13 Mar 2003, Al Crowley wrote:

    > 1. Which distro and kernel are you using?

    Debian Woody with 2.4.20

    > 2. Does this Backpack work elsewhere (either Linux or Windows)?

    Yes, it works under Linux on my desktop [RH 8.0 / 2.4.20].

    > 3. What is the make, model, and speed of this computer?

    It is a Dell Latitude XPi Pentium Classic 133MHz laptop.

    > "paride: version 1.04 installed
    > BACKPACK Protocol Driver V1.0.0
    > Copyright 1999 by Micro Solutions, Inc., DeKalb IL.
    > paride: backpack registered as protocol 0
    > pcd: pcd version 1.07, major 46, nice 0

    paride and bpck6 load as expected, but pcd hangs shortly after finding the
    parallel port.

    After crawling through my kernel configs on both machines [desktop, and
    laptop] I find that my desktop has no support for the lp device, while
    my laptop has lp.o compiled in.

    Am I correct in suspecting that this is the problem? Should I remove
    support for the lp device, and/or make it a module?