[PARPORT] port doesn't hold states

From: filip (filip_@op.pl)
Date: Fri Apr 11 2003 - 17:03:32 EDT

    Hello,

    I want to use /dev/lp0 (lp module) on my PC for controlling
    external devices.
    The problem is when I wtire 1 byte to /dev/lp0, paralel port
    holds this state just for a few ms - if I write to /dev/lp0 0x00
    pins change to LOW for a moment, and then some of the returns to HIGH
    and some stay LOW.
    (I made special plug - so the is no problem with handshake - details on:
    http://www.hut.fi/Misc/Electronics/circuits/nullprint.html)

    lsmod
    lp 8864 0 (unused)
    parport_pc 18724 1 (autoclean)
    parport 34208 1 (autoclean) [lp parport_pc]

    cat /proc/sys/dev/parport/parport0/modes
    PCSPP,TRISTATE

    In bios (Setup) I have set SPP mode.

    The problem is on this PC on RH7.3 and also on Slackware9.0
    but on FreeBSD everything is OK (on FreeBSD I use /dev/lpt0).

    It is strange because everything works corect on
    my old PC (Pentium160).

    Can you help?

    Regards,
    Filip