RE: [PARPORT] ITE 8872

From: Duncan Haldane (f.duncan.m.haldane@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Thu Apr 24 2003 - 02:29:22 EDT

    On 23-Apr-2003 David Euresti wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I have an ITE 8872 PCI-X card that I'm putting into a compaq DL580.
    > Unfortunately when I try to add the module I get this in dmesg.
    >
    > initing superIO
    > sio_ite_8872_probe()
    > parport_pc: unknown ITE887x 15
    > parport_pc: please mail 'lspci -nvv' output to Rich.Liu@ite.com.tw

    Hi

    I looked into the ITE887x support a few moths ago, when I was trying to get
    the ECP mode on an ITE8875 PCI parport card working.

    (1) I managed to find Rich Liu: he no longer works at ITE, and says he can
    no longer support these cards in any way.

    (2) There is in fact extensive documentation available for these chips at
    ite: see http://www.ite.com.tw/productInfo/Download.html

    (3): The Linux ITE support in parport_pc.c only activates the EPP mode: from
    the ITE docs I managed to easily find how to activate ECP mode, but any attempt
    to use it crashes the system (which explains why Rich Liu only activated EPP).
    This occurred when interrupt use got activated -I suspect that the linux
    ECP support for PIO (non DMA) ECP in parport_pc.c is broken, rather than this
    being a problem with the ITE chip. The card works fine in EPP mode.

    The error you mention is at the beginning of the ITE support, where the type of
    card is identified by reading the contents of some registers. All this is
    quite well documented in the available ITE specs.

    You probably want to just give up on the card, but you might like to check out
    the specs to see if its just some small problem you can fix.

    E-Mail: Duncan Haldane <f.duncan.m.haldane@worldnet.att.net>
    Date: 24-Apr-2003
    Time: 02:06:58

    This message was sent by XFMail