Re: [PARPORT] figuring out an ECP port problem

From: Kevin (kjsisson@bellsouth.net)
Date: Thu May 01 2003 - 10:16:45 EDT

    FWIW, I have been using the older VMware versions (up to 2.04) on
    Mandrake systems, from the 2.2 to 2.4 kernels (currently 2.4.18, MD
    8.2). I set my parallel port to ECP in the BIOS, and put the lines

    alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
    options parport_pc io=0x378 irq=5 dma=3

    in my /etc/modules.conf file. I believe that all necessary PP ECP
    support is either compiled into the Mandrake kernel or available as a
    loadable module, because I use the stock kernel and don't explicitly
    load any other modules (other than the VMware ones of course). I then
    set the parallel port in VMware to /dev/parport0
    with 'bidirectional' checked. This allows me to use my PP scanner from
    the VMware windows session.

        Kevin