[PARPORT] Couldn't get old ppa driver working with ZIP-100

From: Chan Siu Ming (namely_void@yahoo.co.uk)
Date: Tue Jun 17 2003 - 05:04:41 EDT

    Hello,
    I've wrestled with a ZIP-100 (manuf. '97) parallel
    drive for some time now and just cannot get it to
    work. The drive should be supported by the ppa driver
    I suppose(?).
    The ppa driver loads fine, but fails when I try to
    mount a disk. I tried iomega's guest.exe in MS-DOS and
    it works well. Here's some messages I get:

    parport0: PC-style at 0x378 [PCSPP,TRISTATE,EPP]
    parport_pc: Via 686A parallel port: io=0x378
    ppa: Version 2.07 (for Linux 2.4.x)
    ppa: Found device at ID 6, Attempting to use EPP 16
    bit
    ppa: Communication established with ID 6 using EPP 16
    bit
    scsi1 : Iomega VPI0 (ppa) interface
      Vendor: IOMEGA Model: ZIP 100 Rev: J.03
      Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI
    revision: 02

    That's the driver loading, obviously. Then, when I try
    to mount a disk:

    # mount /dev/sda4 /zipdisk -t vfat
    Attached scsi removable disk sda at scsi1, channel 0,
    id 6, lun 0
    scsi: device set offline - not ready or command retry
    failed after bus reset: host 1 channel 0 id 6 lun 0
    sda: Write Protect is off
     sda: I/O error: dev 08:00, sector 0
     I/O error: dev 08:00, sector 0
     unable to read partition table

    And after that /dev/sda isn't, of course, usable
    anymore. (Btw. how do I enable offline SCSI devices
    again?)

    I'm using a 2.4.21-rc7-ac1 kernel. In addition to the
    EPP-16 mode shown, I also tried EPP32 and PS2 modes
    with the same results (mount failing). So, is there
    anything else I could try? Might this be an -ac1
    kernel-bug?

     -- chan