Re: [PARPORT] kernel patch - new ioctl

From: Markus Heinz (su1690@sx2.hrz.uni-dortmund.de)
Date: Fri Aug 22 2003 - 13:31:16 EDT

    On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 09:22:17 +0100
    Tim Waugh <twaugh@redhat.com> wrote:

    > On Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 10:46:29PM +0200, Markus Heinz wrote:
    >
    > > Reading the device id with libieee1284 takes 4 seconds on my
    > > computer whereas my ioctls return immediately. Is there a
    > > possibility of speeding up libieee1284?
    >
    > Did you give yourself permission to open /dev/parport* for reading?
    > Perhaps the slow direct I/O method was in use, rather than using the
    > kernel functions.
    >
    > The libieee1284 library uses ppdev for its data transfers when it
    > can. If the kernel ppdev module is slower than your special ioctl,
    > something's up.

    Actually I had no parport user space driver support in my kernel at all.
    Only parallel printer support. Now with ppdev in the kernel the device
    id is read much faster.

    But why does libieee1284 not use /dev/lp0 when /dev/parport0 is not
    available?

    Markus

    --
    Visit my homepage: http://home.arcor.de/markusheinz/