[PARPORT] Need to install decent/recent LINUX distribution using Backpack CD ReWriter

From: John Miskinis (conquestsoftware@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Sep 24 2003 - 06:25:27 EDT

    Hi Folks,

    I'm desperately trying to find a recent (and decent) LINUX distribution that
    can be installed via the parallel-port Backpack CD ReWriter drive. To date,
    Redhat 7.1 has been my only working option.

    I most recently tried Slackware 9.1 which offers a boot floppy supposedly
    supporting parallel port CDROMs, but during the install, it reports
    /dev/pcd0
    is not a valid block device, and thus fails.

    A user recently reported the availability of a Mandrake 9 boot disk, but I
    am
    unable to download it, the link is dead.

    I know my hardware is good, in fact I'm currently reverting back to RH 7.1
    as I
    write this.

    Many thanks for any info/pointers.... John