[PARPORT] ripping CDs with parallel port CDRW?

From: John Miskinis (conquestsoftware@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Oct 04 2003 - 18:00:47 EDT

    Hi Folks,

    I'm not sure if ripping is possible, and would appreciate any success
    stories, including version numbers of the tools you use.

    I've been researching and experimenting with various tools for many
    hours today, and when "dagrab" actually started reading by backpack
    CDRW, I thought I was there, but it failed after several minutes, and an
    estimate of 1 and a half hours for 1 song!

    I am using Redhat 7.1, with kernel 2.4.9-12. I was able to play music CDs
    using the stock "grip", but ripping would fail with the "unable to open
    CDROM"
    error. Research turned up info on using SCSI devices, but nothing regarding
    pcd0 or pg0 as a device.

    I tried to install the latest cdrtools at
    http://xcdroast.sourceforge.net/RPMS/a14/redhat-7.1/
    but unfortunately their special (recommened) version of mkisofs requires
    glibc 2.2.3 and I only have 2.2.2, and do not want to open that can of
    worms,
    unless I know for sure the end goal is possible.

    Any and all information, is welcome, and Thanks,

    John (I hope it's possible!)