Re: [PARPORT] parport read

From: Cherry Cortes (osagimakoto@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Oct 22 2003 - 21:26:32 EDT

    Is there a way that we can cheat the host to see the other end as a peripheral and not as another PC? Coz we should have in the host side the standard way of sending data, and so I think doing our own protocol wouldn't work.

    Dave Strauss <D.Strauss@motorola.com> wrote:
    On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 03:46:51 -0700 (PDT), Cherry Cortes wrote;

    > We have a loop that only exits if there are some characters
    > received from the parallel port but the loop never breaks even we
    > have sent data. By the way, what we're trying to do is to connect 2
    > pcs wherein 1 acts as sender and the other as receiver ^_^

    Well, you can't really do that with two PCs. Both of them are the
    host end of the IEEE-1284 standard, and in order to send data from one
    to the other one of them has to act as host and one of them has to act
    as a preipheral. I believe you should be able to transfer data by
    manipulating the data and control lines directly, but you won't be
    able to do it just by doing a read() call. You'll also probably have
    to come up with your own protocol. LapLink used to do this sort of
    thing -- they had a special cable and their own software. Are they
    still in business?

    -- Dave Strauss