Re: [PARPORT] Backpack cd-rewriter

From: marcelo.c.pinto (marcelo.c.pinto@bol.com.br)
Date: Mon Dec 08 2003 - 12:23:58 EST

    Shawn and John,

      It's been a while since I did it, but let me tell you
    how I managed to install Slackware 9.0 from a Backpack
    CD-RW drive:

    - First of all, paride kernel still uses bpck, not
    bpck6. At least that's for 9.0, and by what you told
    below, I think that's still valid for 9.1

    - Take a look at question #2 from the FAQ.txt file in
    the root dir of the installation CD or in the
    Slackware9.1 directory on the web- it tells you how to
    install from a FAT partition.

    - What I did was to use that method, using the "bare"
    kernel.

    - but before that, download or copy from the CD the
    kernel-modules package (kernel-modules-2.4.23-i486-
    1.tgz). It is in the "a" directory of packages.
    uncompress it to a directory into your FAT partition,
    either with "tar -xvzf kernel-modules-2.4.23-i486-1.tgz"
    from Linux, or with zip/Winzip from DOS/Windos. You may
    want to extract only the following modules:
    parport.o
    parport_pc.o
    paride.o
    bpck6.o
    pcd.o

    I'm not quite shure all of them have ".o" as extension,
    but I'm sure there's no more than one for each of them.

    - following the steps from question #2 in the FAQ, boot
    your machine with the bare kernel, and logged as root:

    a) mount the FAT partition where you uncompressed the
    modules:

    mkdir /fat
    mount -t /dev/hdaX /fat

    where hdaX is the FAT partition in Linux

    b) cd to the directory where the modules were extracted

    cd /fat/...

    c) Type
    /sbin/insmod parport
    /sbin/insmod parport_pc
    /sbin/insmod paride
    /sbin/insmod bpck6
    /sbin/insmod pcd

    mkdir /cdrom
    mount /dev/pcd0 /cdrom

    d) Run the setup script and, when/if prompted for a cd-
    rom to install packages from, input "/cdrom".

    I wrote it from the top of my mind, currently using M$
    XP, so I may be missing something and I did not have the
    chance to check dirs/filenames. But the overall steps
    are laid out above.

    If you want to give it a try, please let me know the
    outcome.

    Regards,

    MP

    > John,
    >
    > Yes, ncurses is a necessary program. In fact, I did dow
    nload it, install
    > it, but when I try 'make menuconfig' it tells me I nee
    d to install
    > ncurses. I am using Slackware 4.0. Maybe I should try t
    o install ncurses
    > from a later version but I fear that it would not be co
    mpatible.

    > According to Slackware's site, paride and the backpack
    series 6 is
    > included in the boot disk (from Slackware's site):
    >
    > pportide.i This is an extended version of bare
    .i with support for
    > a wide variety of parallel-
    port IDE devices. Supports
    > parallel-
    port products from MicroSolutions,
    > Hewlett-
    Packard, SyQuest, Imation, Avatar, and other
    > manufacturers.
    >

    > I have not picked up a set of disks for Slackware 9.1,
    but I did
    > download this particular boot disk, and used 'rawwrite'
    , but when I ran
    > it, it didn't seem to recognize my backpack. I was just
     fooling around
    > trying different things.
    >
    > Tedious is okay with me, I am a very patient man, but I
     just don't know
    > what most of the things are (again, even after I read t
    he help menu I
    > still don't understand.) Maybe I need to find a site th
    at explains the
    > help menus :-). Kinda like 'man man' for dummies!
    >

    > John Miskinis wrote:
    >
    > > Hi Shawn,
    > >
    > > I believe make menuconfig needs a few things (ncurses
     ?) to run.
    > > Yes, there are a lot of options, which is why I used
    the word tedious,
    > > in a previous reply.
    > >
    > > Which version of Slackware? I may experiment with Sl
    ackware at
    > > some point. I did a while back, but their "paride" b
    ootdisk did not
    > > support install from a backpack series 6 drive, and t
    he laptop I
    > > was using did not have a builtin CDROM drive.
    > >
    > > I hope it is the latest version, although I do not ha
    ve enough blank
    > > media, and the time to download the ISOs at this mome
    nt.

    > > John
    > >

    > >> From: Shawn Koons <skoons1ns@netscape.net>
    > >> To: "marcelo.c.pinto" <marcelo.c.pinto@bol.com.br>,

    > >> "linux-parport" <"linux-parport"@torque.net>
    > >> Subject: Re: [PARPORT] Backpack cd-rewriter
    > >> Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2003 20:34:44 -0700
    > >>
    > >> I have decided to upgrade the kernel but am limited
    to 'make
    > >> config.' I do not have X installed and for some re
    ason, I cannot
    > >> run 'make menuconfig.' I have started this process a
     couple of times
    > >> but end up quitting because I run into SO many optio
    ns that I have no
    > >> idea about. Even with the help option that is availa
    ble, I am still
    > >> lost. I cannot find a HOWTO that explains the proces
    s adequately for
    > >> a beginner like myself.
    > >>
    > >> If anyone can help I would appreciate it.
    > >>
    > >> BTW, there are a few people who have graciously resp
    onded and have
    > >> mentioned the Mandrake system but I am running Slack
    ware, as far as I
    > >> know they are totally different and I cannot use Man
    drake based
    > >> program help.
    > >>
    > >> Thank you, one and all,
    > >>
    > >> Shawn

     CD-RW with my

    request@torque.net --
    > >> --
    essage. --

    ____________
    > > Get holiday tips for festive fun.
    > > http://special.msn.com/network/happyholidays.armx
    > >

    > --
    > Mythology may, in a real sense, be defined as other peo
    ple's religion.
    > And religion may, in a real sense, be understood as a p
    opular
    > misunderstanding of mythology.
    >
    > Joseph Campbell, Thou Art That
    >

    > -- To unsubscribe, send mail to: linux-parport-
    request@torque.net --
    > --
    essage. --