Re: [PARPORT] Backpack cd-rewriter

From: Shawn Koons (skoons1ns@netscape.net)
Date: Mon Dec 08 2003 - 10:30:14 EST

    John,

    Yes, ncurses is a necessary program. In fact, I did download it, install
    it, but when I try 'make menuconfig' it tells me I need to install
    ncurses. I am using Slackware 4.0. Maybe I should try to install ncurses
    from a later version but I fear that it would not be compatible.

    According to Slackware's site, paride and the backpack series 6 is
    included in the boot disk (from Slackware's site):

     pportide.i This is an extended version of bare.i with support for
                           a wide variety of parallel-port IDE devices. Supports
                           parallel-port products from MicroSolutions,
                           Hewlett-Packard, SyQuest, Imation, Avatar, and other
                           manufacturers.

    I have not picked up a set of disks for Slackware 9.1, but I did
    download this particular boot disk, and used 'rawwrite', but when I ran
    it, it didn't seem to recognize my backpack. I was just fooling around
    trying different things.

    Tedious is okay with me, I am a very patient man, but I just don't know
    what most of the things are (again, even after I read the help menu I
    still don't understand.) Maybe I need to find a site that explains the
    help menus :-). Kinda like 'man man' for dummies!