Re: [PARPORT] Tests on Avatar Shark with new paride drivers

Grant R. Guenther (grant@torque.net)
Mon, 15 Dec 1997 10:01:37 -0500 (EST)

> I just thought I'd post some preliminary test results on the paride drivers
> with the Avatar Shark drive. With the old ep.c drive I was getting
> some superblock corruption if I unmounted and the drive was
> in standby mode. With the new drivers, this problem is corrected
> (thanks Grant!!). Unmounting the drive in or out of standby mode
> does not corrupt the superblock anymore.

I'm glad the problem is gone - it must have been a subtle bug in the
IDE layer that got fixed during the rewrite. Nobody else ever reported
anything like it, so it's not easy to explain _why_ it is now fixed :-(

> I do an 'insmod paride; insmod epat; insmod pd'. There is a slight
> delay after the insmod pd, and then it usually returns saying
> 'resource is busy'. If I follow up with another insmod pd the module
> gets loaded properly and I can use the drive. There don't seem to be
> any side effects when this happens.

Please add the "verbose=1" option when you load pd. That will show more
of what's happening. I need to know if this is a driver issue or
a problem with the module loading system.

> Is it possible yet to have kerneld load these modules automatically
> if I do a 'mount -t ext2 /dev/pda1 /mnt', for example?

I'm sure it is, but you'll have to add some lines to modules.conf -
depmod won't be able to deduce that pda requires the epat module to be
loaded. (It's the same problem that people have with the SCSI system,
the dependencies don't work the way you might expect.)