Re: [PARPORT] Shark drive eject

Grant R. Guenther (grant@torque.net)
Fri, 2 Jan 1998 14:11:19 -0500 (EST)

> If the module is loaded, or the device is mounted it will not eject. I
> have also run into occasions where even if the above two are not true,
> it still will not eject. I find in these cases unplugging the parport
> cord and reconnecting it works.

Here's what I think is happening, and the cure (which appears to work).

If you access the drive using the Shuttle drivers, they will put the
drive into "Removable media notification" mode. In this mode, the LOCK
and UNLOCK commands do not work, and only the EJECT function will work.
(This is a new "feature" in ATA-4). The new mode is cleared by a reset.

Somewhere along the line, I appear to have disabled the initial reset that
I used to send to a drive. If you are having this problem, a call to
ep_reset or pd_reset at the very beginning of ep_identify or pd_identify
should clear it up.