Re: [PARPORT] Speed of ppa 1.40 driver

Andrea Arcangeli (arcangeli@mbox.queen.it)
Mon, 5 Jan 1998 18:15:23 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 5 Feb 1998, Riley Williams wrote:

> > There is a known "feature" (problem) with VFAT/UMSDOS/MSDOS
> > partitions on ZIP disks. It has to do with MSDOS <=> UNIX text
> > file translation.

I can report the same slowdown using vfat on 2.0.3x kernels on a ZIP scsi
drive but only copying a lot of small file (of some kbyte).

>Before you ask, on my computer, the EPP mode produces corrupted
>ZipDisks but the ECP mode works fine. On a friend's computer, EPP
>mode works fine. Both machines are P166's.

Maybe the increased scheduling in the latest ppa driver can slowdown a bit
the performance but I think that is better goes a bit slower than have the
machine high loaded in loop polling cycles.

This is using the parport version that should be slower that the
monolithic one.

arca:/usr/doc/mesag# /usr/bin/time dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/null bs=1024
count=40960
40960+0 records in
40960+0 records out
0.01user 0.02system 1:30.78elapsed 0%CPU (0avgtext+0avgdata 0maxresident)k

If you really see a big performance flaw in latest ppa driver it can be
useful to know wich ppa version begin to show that flow.

Andrea[s] Arcangeli