[PARPORT] Re: problems with parallel port IRQ detection

Andrea Arcangeli (arcangeli@mbox.queen.it)
Mon, 5 Jan 1998 18:21:15 +0100 (CET)

On Sat, 31 Jan 1998, Philip Blundell wrote:

>>does anyone have a solution for this? in 2.0.x, both my palmtop PC110
>>and my desktop machine have no problems using PLIP. if I boot either
>>to 2.1.x (I've tried for most x>60) PLIP reports detecting IRQ 8 for
>>the first port (should be 0x378/IRQ7) on both of them. trying to use
>>modules for all the parallel port stuff and plip and forcing the irq
>>as an option to insmod doesn't seem to work either. What useful

You can try to force the parport irq via procfs.

echo 7 >/proc/parport/?/irq

but be sure to apply my patch (I will sent it to you via private email)
that fix a bug in parport_procfs before. Be sure also to not run "echo
0>/proc/parport/?/irq" because the parport procfs will free the 0 irq in
order to gain it and your machine will hang (of course if int 0 is the
timer interrupt as with i386).

Andrea[s] Arcangeli