[PARPORT] performance

Luiz Otavio L. Zorzella (zorzella@conexware.com)
Tue, 20 Jan 1998 08:47:05 -0800

Hi,

I'm a UNIX savy, but a zip drive novice. After some Howtos, and some
trys, my zip drive seems to be working very well. Well, almost. While
I'm copying large files to it, the performance of my X windows goes
bad.

I thought it could be a BIOS problem, as in the HOWTO, it is said to
choose one of "standard" or "bi-directional". The options I have are:

Compatible (the common sense tells me this is standard)
Extended
EPP
ECP (I have to choose a DMA & version in this)

And I use "Compatible". Is there a better thing to do? Is this bad
performance "normal"?

Debian 1.3.1r6 (with some 2.0 stuff) GnuLinux 2.0.32
Pentium MMX 133
iomega zip parallel port

scsi0 : PPA driver version 0.26 using 4-bit mode on port 0x378.
scsi : 1 host.
  Vendor: IOMEGA Model: ZIP 100 Rev: J.03
Detected scsi removable disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 6, lun 0
scsi : detected 1 SCSI disk total.
SCSI device sda: hdwr sector= 512 bytes. Sectors= 196608 [96 MB] [0.1 GB]
sda: Write Protect is off

Thanks

--
Luiz Otavio L. Zorzella                 Product Engineer
zorzella@conexware.com          http://www.conexware.com