Re: [PARPORT] Boot from SyJet for Linux on IDE system with SCSI Parallel version

Bug Hunter (bughuntr@one.ctelcom.net)
Wed, 21 Jan 1998 08:29:13 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 20 Jan 1998, Breezy wrote:

> Okay....just got on the list so hopefully everyone will be kind.
>
> I have a SyJet drive with the parallel port cable which uses the SCSI
> for drive purposes.
>
> I have a notebook with an IDE based harddrive. Is it possible to boot
> from the SyJet using the parallel port?
>
> Would getting a Scsi PCMCIA card help? Maybe disable the ide and use a
> scsi card?
>
> I am basically trying to setup the SyJet to allow me to boot linux
> from. Perhaps using the UMSDos (sp?) version of the kernel and see the
> SyJet as a second harddrive?
>
> I hope I am not confusing everyone. Any idea?

  I would suppose if you build a linux kernel with the parallel port
driver for syjet build into the kernel (not a loadable module), then put
that kernel on your dos drive under a directory, and ran loadlin, with a
parameter similar to this:

loadlin.exe kernelname root=/dev/sdax ro

  then you would be able to boot and use the syjet as your main drive.
(assuming the parallel port driver would handle the i/o without any
hitches caused by itself, the bios, or the hardware).

bug