Re: [PARPORT] Re: problems with parallel port IRQ detection

Stephen Williams (steve@icarus.icarus.com)
Sat, 31 Jan 1998 22:29:48 -0800

Philip.Blundell@pobox.com said:
> Just for the record, with ISA hardware it is impossible to make this
> work reliably whatever your software model. I don't think we should
> encourage users to try it. I know that the average PC is IRQ-starved
> but life is hard and you have to make compromises.

In principle, you can share IRQs with a little bit of logic on the mother
board. Not bloody likely, though, because device drivers don't support it
and likely never will (at least not in the DOS/Windows world.)

Yes, ISA sucks and we are glad for PCI.

steve@icarus.com              But I have promises to keep,
steve@picturel.com            and lines to code before I sleep,