Re: [PARPORT] Re: problems with parallel port IRQ detection

Philip Blundell (Philip.Blundell@pobox.com)
Sun, 01 Feb 1998 00:58:52 +0000

>I favour method b (flame me if you like, it is bushfire season here in
>Asutralia), as the average PC does not have enough IRQs for all the
>*useful* hardware => 2 IDE, 2 serial, 1 parallel, 1 network card, 1 sound
>card, 1 video card + several other system devices [keyboard, timer, x87
>interupt] THEN start adding SCSI cards.....
>
>Using the current Linux model it is impossible to have a SoundBlaster card
>AND use the IRQ for printing. (Arrgg!!!)

Just for the record, with ISA hardware it is impossible to make this
work reliably whatever your software model. I don't think we should encourage
users to try it. I know that the average PC is IRQ-starved but life is hard
and you have to make compromises. In any case the world is moving to PCI and
there you really _can_ share IRQ lines.

p.