Re: [PARPORT] A cdrom player

Bas Mevissen (sgm@stack.nl)
Wed, 4 Feb 1998 20:53:08 +0100

----------
: From: Steffen Kluge <kluge@fujitsu.com.au>
: To: grant@torque.net
: Cc: linux-parport@torque.net
: Subject: Re: [PARPORT] A cdrom player
: Date: Sunday, February 01, 1998 11:46 PM
:
: Grant wrote:
: >The parallel port CD-ROM drivers do not support the audio play ioctls at
: >this time. I do intend to add this functionality - in a manner
compatible
: >with the "universal CD-ROM" layer - sometime in the next few months. It
: >is currently item number 3 on my to-do list.
: >
: >By the way, the old 'bpcd' driver is no longer supported, these changes
: >will happen in the PARIDE suite which is now part of the standard
kernel.
:
: I was about to ask whether there will be a parport-aware bpcd (for
: daisy-chaining, enhanced parallel port modes etc.) So, what's the
: future of Backpack support? Also, please excuse my ignorance, is
: there a chance that anything of the nice parport stuff makes it into
: a 2.0 kernel? Or do we have to use 2.1/wait for 2.2 ?

Phillip Blundell has made a parport patch for 2.0.33. I didn't use it yet.
So I cannot tell if it works, but Phil once told me that the differences
between 2.0 and 2.1 are not too big for this driver. So it will probably
work :-)

Bas.
:
: Cheers
: Steffen.
:
: -----
: Steffen Kluge <kluge@fujitsu.com.au>
: Fujitsu Australia Ltd
: -----
:
: -- with the single word "unsubscribe" in the body of the message. --