[PARPORT] Speed of ppa 1.40 driver

Bas Mevissen (sgm@stack.nl)
Wed, 4 Feb 1998 21:37:26 +0100

Hi Grant,

I use the ppa 1.40 driver with kernel 2.0.33 on a I use the ppa 1.40 driver with kernel 2.0.33 on a 486@133MHz. I used to get
around 16-20 Mb/min with my ZIP drive (R/W). This sank a bit to app. 11
Mb/min and in daily use the performance got even more worse.

Can you give me some clues why the transfer speed is lower than before. I
don't remember what version I got the slowdown, but I think is was at the
point where the software/hardware direction detection routine came in.

BTW. my I/O chip is a SMC37C665GT in EPP mode. PPA reports that this one
has software direction control, is that correct?

The motherboard is a ASUS PVI/SP3 with the lates BIOS.

Thanks,

Bas.