Re: [PARPORT] Speed of ppa 1.40 driver

Bas Mevissen (sgm@stack.nl)
Thu, 5 Feb 1998 22:29:47 +0100

: Subject: Re: [PARPORT] Speed of ppa 1.40 driver
: Date: Monday, January 05, 1998 6:15 PM
:
: On Thu, 5 Feb 1998, Riley Williams wrote:
:
: > > There is a known "feature" (problem) with VFAT/UMSDOS/MSDOS
: > > partitions on ZIP disks. It has to do with MSDOS <=> UNIX text
: > > file translation.

Can that be fixed without too much trouble? I don't need any translation,
don't I? I want my files to stay exactly the same, regardless of the OS.

:
: I can report the same slowdown using vfat on 2.0.3x kernels on a ZIP scsi
: drive but only copying a lot of small file (of some kbyte).
:
: >Before you ask, on my computer, the EPP mode produces corrupted
: >ZipDisks but the ECP mode works fine. On a friend's computer, EPP
: >mode works fine. Both machines are P166's.
:
: Maybe the increased scheduling in the latest ppa driver can slowdown a
bit
: the performance but I think that is better goes a bit slower than have
the
: machine high loaded in loop polling cycles.

That's a good offer. CPU consumption reported by 'time' is about 4% now.

:
: This is using the parport version that should be slower that the
: monolithic one.

I'm just using the monolithic one :-)

:
: arca:/usr/doc/mesag# /usr/bin/time dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/null bs=1024
: count=40960
: 40960+0 records in
: 40960+0 records out
: 0.01user 0.02system 1:30.78elapsed 0%CPU (0avgtext+0avgdata
0maxresident)k
: 0inputs+0outputs (88major+12minor)pagefaults 0swaps
:
: If you really see a big performance flaw in latest ppa driver it can be
: useful to know wich ppa version begin to show that flow.
Somewhere where the SW/HW direction code came in. 'll take a look at it
this weekend.

:
: Andrea[s] Arcangeli
:
:
Best Regards,

Bas.

:
: -- with the single word "unsubscribe" in the body of the message. --